Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Christmas facts around
These are added facts about Christmas Celebs, etc. around the world.
Christmas Decorations Superstitions
• Most homes were decorated on Christmas Eve to avoid the anger of capricious forces.
• No lights were put on before the first star appeared.
• The tree should be brought into the house not before the 24th December.
• Trees are decorated only after the children go to bed.
• In Germany, the last ornament on the tree is a pickle shaped ornament. In the morning, the child who finds the Christmas pickle gets a special present.
• Traditionally, the doors of the home were thrown open at midnight on Christmas Eve to let the trapped evil spirits out.
• The Christmas candle was left burning in a window all night to enlighten the path of the good luck for the coming year to the household.
• The first person to wake up on Christmas would shout into the street 'Welcome Old Father Christmas'.
• Sweeping the threshold was thought to clear out trouble for the next year.
• Male visitors are preferred but red-haired men are thought to bring bad luck.
• Lucky birds are welcome on Christmas and signify good luck.
• The first person to visit the household should bring the evergreens or coals with him and gets the privilege to kiss all the women of the house. Men are served with a drink and something to eat while children are given lucky coins.